Thursday, October 23, 2008

Deer Season

Many of you that know us, know the location where we built our house. It is in an area that is known to locals as the "north hills". Well, it is the gateway to the north hills. For our purposes we'll call it the "Foothills" because it makes us sound more ritzy than we really are.

Anyway, it is one of the most heavily hunted areas around because it is fairly close to town, easily accessible, and there are quite a few deer.

Well we were excited to enjoy a 4 day weekend this past weekend for the deer hunt. Calvin didn't have school Friday or Monday. We had no specific plans other than one...we wanted to sleep in. It has been forever since we have been able to sleep in & we thought it would be a perfect time to do that since our kids are both sleeping really well these days.

WRONG!!! On Saturday morning at about 7:00 I heard a loud BANG. I was startled because it was still too dark to shoot outside. I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter...and there was a hunter IN OUR BACK YARD shooting a deer...ON OUR PROPERTY. And people call ME a redneck?? :)

First of all...it wasn't even light enough to legally shoot. Secondly, he was in city limits and third he was on private property, right outside our bedroom window.

The whole weekend we felt like we were in a war zone. Every morning about 7:30-9:00 and every evening from about 5:00-7:00 we were dodging bullets.

Needless to say...we didn't get to sleep in this last weekend at all. Oh well. At least we survived "the surge". We did learn (or have reconfirmed to us) that there are some real idiots in the world though.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Holy Cow! I can't believe that people were on your property shooting deer!! Actually, most hunters will stop at NOTHING to get their Deer. I would have called the cops!!

Karen said...

All I know is that if I knew who they were, payback is a _____!!!! I don't think they would get a full nights sleep for a week. That and I would record them on video and turn them in. Idiots are what keep me in a jobs.
Ellis.

Kim said...

sounds like fun! I hope your both still watching who's line is it. It seems that you guys have awonderful little family in cozy e-town. sounds like bliss
neil

Karen said...

That is crazy! Maybe it's a good thing we didn't build a house up there too!! JK. I'm still jealous and wish we could.